Saturday, April 15, 2006

More Iron in the Fire, and In the Dirt

This is my favorite garden tool. (Not the coffee cup, look at the bottom of the post.) It came from my Grandfather, and the handle is a little loose, and the wood is dry and fragile, but it is a wondrously effective tool.

It is essentially five little cultivator blades that turn the earth to a depth of about six inches. One pass breaks the dirt up and turns it, a second turns it and breaks it up further, leaving nice, neat, loose, flat and level cultivated rows. It even takes out (turns under) weeds as it goes.

Sooner or later the handle will break, but I will replace it. I have not seen this tool anywhere for sale, and even if I did it would probably have a plastic handle and not be made of this nice iron.

I can fix iron, see. Just fire up the forge and fix it. Can't do that with cast aluminum.

No comments: